Saturday, February 18, 2012

Growing Pains

What a weekend.

I just spent the last 24 hours in Sacramento spending time with a music therapy colleague to prep for a presentation we are giving at our conference in March.
Our presentation is sort of on a difficult topic. My colleague wasn't sure that anyone, at least in our region, has ever presented on it at conference. So, its sort of risky, I suppose. We're presenting on integrating ways of thinking in music therapy. My colleague and I come from two very different theoretical backgrounds and we have been talking about doing this type of presentation for a couple of years. I guess now is the time.
It wasn't a walk in the park to put together. Our ways of doing things are so different. Our taxonomy and language is different. And for some reason these two "camps" don't always get along. We went back and forth for at least 2 hours this morning on how to compare and contrast the two models. I was about ready to shut down out of frustration and my colleague (who is also a good friend) was pushing and pushing.

We finally ended up where we needed to get, but not without taking a break to process everything we were trying to cover. It was a good experience and the frustration we felt is something we can draw upon for our presentation.

I'm back home now and happily lounging after a productive 24 hours.
My brain is officially fried.

1 comment:

  1. And as our friend Jimmy Buffett says, the pleasure is worth all the pain.

    ReplyDelete