Saturday, October 9, 2010

progress

well. What a difference a day makes.

I have put together a preliminary powerpoint presentation and started drafting my proposal for the conference. For some reason I am really struggling with the description, even though I know what information I am including. Its not really flowing the way that I want it to and it doesn't really sound like a typical session that you might find at a one-day student conference. I'm considering applying for the other concurrent sessions- you know for the big kids. The professionals. I realize that I am a professional now too: Lauren F. Bevilacqua, MT-BC, but I'm nervous about presenting this information and still feeling like a student. I'm a young professional. Not a seasoned one. Not many therapists practice what I'm going to be presenting on but then again some heavy hitters in our field and this approach to therapy may be in attendance; I certainly don't want to look like a doof.... a young kid fresh out of internship with no other real life practical experience (Although presumably I'd have a job by then). Sigh.
I think I'm thinking about this too much.

I think I've put together a pretty good presentation. It definitely is a lot different than some of the other presentations I've seen done at the student-one day conference. I think students will find it interesting, especially for those who have never seen this type of therapy in action. I will have video clips which is certainly a plus. I don't remember the last session I went to that had actual session clips. I think I just need to get my confidence up-- you know, believe in my skills and what I learned in my internship. So maybe I will apply to both the student one-day and the concurrent sessions. We'll see what happens. The worst they can say is No. And that's no big deal.

based on some advice, I am stepping away from my proposal for at least a day and let it sit for a while. Its been 2 days of major progress. I need a break. ;)

Actually I have other things to focus on. I'm having dinner with a former teacher from high school to talk about my role in the retreat that is coming up. So maybe I'll take my break and think about the things I want to say--- you know, as an "adult" leader.
Okay- well, I'll take my break and take peaches for an evening walk.

2 comments:

  1. Lucky Peaches! What does she think of your presentation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She slept right through it. Maybe I should get back to the drawing board.

    ReplyDelete