Sunday, October 24, 2010

Quest 2010

Hey kids,

I have come down off the mountain and am still exhausted. It was a jam-packed and fast three days filled with great kids, fun events, and incredible talks. The student-senior leaders had amazing stories to share with the juniors and the group of other adult leaders (a couple of former teachers) were fantastic. The kids- the juniors- all took each thing seriously and I think really got something out it. I think that sometimes we are quick to judge high-schoolers. I do it, even though I am not much older. But all of these kids were so thoughtful and really opened up to the entire experience. It was truly an inspiring thing to see. A lot of great insights and sleepless nights. I averaged about 4.5 hours of sleep a night. The kids stayed up so late! Actually the last night we were there I spent chatting it up with the student-senior leader who led our small group. What a cool kid.
It was nice to go on this retreat- I went as a junior and led as a senior. Now I've seen it from the "adult" perspective. AND with my added experiences and training as a therapist, it was interesting to see these kids and to be able to read where they were in the process of the retreat. There were a lot of transformations. It was also fun to be the adult and talk about my experiences and have to shut kids up at like 2am. One girl was whispering in the halls about how she was going to go grab her goldfish for a snack and then proceeded to slam all of the doors. I remember doing the same thing and trying to be sneaky. The entire weekend was such a refreshing experience and I feel lucky that I was able to be there. I feel a little bit more confident in my abilities as I get ready for my interview. So I guess My Quest continues forward.

Anyhow, I spent most of yesterday afternoon taking a nap and then accompanied my mother to the Pintello Comedy Theater for a closing night show of this play called "The Love List." It was pretty funny. I enjoyed it. I also enjoyed the Giants game update before and during intermission. Everyone was really excited and cheering in the theater.

Our family doesn't normally watch sports- maybe the occasional football and hockey game- and never baseball. The last series with Philly has been something for me and my dad to talk about--- you know... with the 3.5 baseball games we've watched. :) we like to be experts on these things. Its been sort of exciting to follow the games in this philly series. I know that doesn't really make me a "real" fan. But its been fun to get into baseball for just a little bit.

Now that I'm catching up on my beauty sleep, I have to get into the right mindset for Las Vegas. Dad and I leave tomorrow morning. I have my interview in the afternoon. We'll be back Tuesday evening. I've got my writing portfolio mostly ready to go. I have my new business cards. I have some background information about the clients that I will interact with. I am very nervous. Its my first real job interview. I think my first interview, real interview, was applying for internships. Every job that I have worked started with some sort of connection. I am very nervous and I hope that it goes well. I think I am most nervous about interacting with their clients. I feel a little rusty, even though I have been playing almost every day. We'll see what happens. I know the Exec. Director of the agency very well and I know the other therapist there who is the Clinical Director. I feel better that I know them and feel comfortable in talking with them.. its just the actual experiential stuff. Sigh. I'm focusing on staying calm and being present. That will help.

I will update after my interview for sure. Dad's excited because we got 2 show tickets with our room. I don't know what time I will be done- I may have dinner with the Exec. Director after my interview. I am looking forward to that because I like the Exec. Director. That will be fun.
Thats all for now!

2 comments:

  1. Every time I had to make a speech, introduce a president or whatever, I was nervous but I tried to use that energy for reenforcement....if it wasn't important, no butterflies, hence, I embraced that excitement (try using that word instead of "nervous") and made it happen. You'll do great because you are a well-trained professional, confident in your talent, and ready for any opportunity and challenge. Use the Force, Luke, er, Lauren, you'll be brilliant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a Use the Force (Or the Schwartz) :)
    Thank you. xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete