Monday, April 18, 2011

Music Therapy Story of the Week

I'm pretty hungry for lunch, so this post may be brief.

I wanted to share something that happened in my session yesterday.

Yesterday, one of my clients was preoccupied with something that I had happened earlier in the week. At one point in the session, I offered this person the chance to play the piano. Usually in this type of experience, I provide some sort of musical structure and this person needs a lot of encouragement to play. This time, this person got up out of their seat and sat down directly next to me at the little keyboard I use and started to play! We used some of the phrases about this event that happened earlier in the week and it unfolded into a song. When asked about how this event made this person feel, they were able to express that. It was a entire new experience for this person. I was sort of amazed right there in the session. It seemed like this person was able to express exactly how they felt in the moment in a new and meaningful way.

Anyhow, I'm totally jazzed about it.
Tonight marks the first (and only) rehearsal for Starmites! My keyboard is programmed and almost packed up and ready to go. I am looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment