Sunday, May 1, 2011

I have returned...

from inner space.

Yes, the run of Starmites has concluded. The lines from the finale of the show say it all, "it wasn't a dream; no it wasn't a dream. it was magic, but it wasn't a dream." There some wonderful memories and moments from this very long weekend. Every time I do a show, I feel lucky to have been able to be apart of the whole process.



here's a picture of my home for the past week. my little music stand and my light and to the right of the conductor. That pit is dusty and dry. Whenever I play I go through a tube of chapstick because my lips (especially- for some reason) get really dry. Not that you needed to know that.





The show was great fun. But, I am also exhausted in every way. My body hurts from sitting in a pit all week long, my muscles are tight, fingertips and wrists a little achy and my brain is just about ready to shut off for a couple of days --- you know before the next thing. But it was all worth it.... Worth it for the kids and feeling their sense of accomplishment after nailing the show and bringing down the house and worth it for building relationships with the other musicians in the pit. If you could really see what we do down there between scenes--- well, you'd figure out why they put the musicians below the stage. :) We're a little rowdy. AND after seeing/hearing the show so many times, we also develop our own lines, choreography and rituals.

Also, as you can see, musicians can get injured on the job. ;) I was running something with the cast this afternoon
and I looked down and I was bleeding. Epic, right? Its actually just a small cut. I guess I was really into the moment. I'm not quite sure how it actually happened. :) I suppose that's how I go about all of my business- go big or go home. I leave a little bit of my passion, and heart, and spirit behind---- but I think in this case, the kids in the show do too. AND they can feel when you do that- when you put in the extra effort for them.

I love working with the kids and supporting them in that way. At this age, 8-14 years old, they are in it for the fun. Some of the older kids from the next production came to the show this weekend and sang a song from their show during intermission. It actually made me kind of mad. I didn't think it was appropriate promotion of their show. Coming to show should be about supporting the kids in it, rather than plugging your own thing-- in my opinion. I didn't appreciate that. And they were a little obnoxious and telling me they were excited for me .. "We're so excited for you guys"....... like we should be excited to play for you? or excited to play the score? (which in some cases is more of a pain than exciting) It rubbed me the wrong way.

I'll stick to the younger kids. With that said, I have a couple of days off before filling in for some shows for the older kids. I'll be playing in the pit for The Secret Garden for a couple of shows the next two weekends.

But now- I am exhausted and will not be playing any piano tonight... maybe not until tomorrow night. I do need to practice for The Secret Garden. I will be flying solo (the only keyboard) for the school shows and this is one of the hardest (if not THE hardest) score I have ever played. I want to feel prepared. But there's only so much I can do and practicing now would just be stupid. :)
So I will be stretching everything out, heating up my rice bag and crawling into bed.

Thanks for being patient in-between blog posts!








2 comments: