Monday, November 29, 2010

Wedding Registries

One day while I was working at the SD County Fair, I stormed into Holly's office and said:


"If I had a blog where I wrote about how I see the world, today's topic would be all about wedding registries."


Today's post is about wedding registries. When I said the above statement, I was getting ready for 2 weddings that summer. It was my first experience with a wedding registry and gift buying and it drove me bonkers. Some close friends are tying the knot early next year and its time to start perusing their registry in prep for the big day.
Nevermind that many of my friends my own age are engaged, getting married, and/or already married. Nevermind that topic. :)

Wedding registries make me absolutely crazy. I understand its for the couple as they start their life together. They need a set of plates and serving dishes, a meat tenderizer, a stainless steel garlic press and muffin tins. What really gets me is how much you have to pay.

You mean I could pay $60 for a cheese board? $15 for an ice cream scoop? $40 for a pan (for a couple that doesn't cook)? All the way up to... $299 for camping gear (how often do they go camping)? how much for luggage?

Holy Toledo. Side note: I never understood the saying Holy Toledo. I've driven through the heart of Toledo (an accident but it happened). It isn't very glamorous.

In the meantime, I've decided to go with something a little more original, useful and not on the registry. :) That's how I roll.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you. Do just marrieds need 3 baccarat crystal wine glasses and 1 place setting of china that by the time they accumulate enough for a meal..their tastes have changed and they don't like that pattern any more! Sorry, just don't get me started. When Sara D and Ralph got married this past summer, Holly and I thought out of the box and got them gift cards from Lowes. They had bought a fixer upper house. Much more useful than china.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AND, if I may chime in, I don't think that anyone should even consider getting married until they are 25, with actual marriage coming at about 28 - 30. So LL, you are not behind by any stretch of the imagination - you are mature beyond your years!

    Regarding the wedding gifts and china/crystal etc. - having been a young newlywed, on that fine china and crystal I was serving Top Ramen and Two Buck Chuck (or maybe it was One Dollar Wanda at the time). And I was tired of the very contempory 1985 pattern within a few years.

    ReplyDelete