Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Day 1

Sound familiar?
Almost this time last year, I started this thing off with a "Day 1" post.

Anyhooo... I had my first "day" of work on Monday. My apologies for taking my sweet time to update about the experience.

I worked 1 whole hour!

I shadowed my boss at a facility for adults with developmental disabilities and mental health issues. The environment is sort of like my internship which was nice. I felt comfortable and familiar with the format. There are a few major major differences. 1. This is one big group session in the lobby area of the building-- so people can come and go as they please and 2. each client (usually) has a 1:1 aide. That means that each person has certain challenges that requires them to need 1:1 attention, meaning that there are some pretty severe behaviors that happen. No big deal. Having that much extra support can often be a good thing (I say often because sometimes the aides think they are helping by making a person do something in music when that isn't always the best way to elicit responses).

Monday was apparently an unusual day--- they were understaffed and that meant that not everyone had their 1:1 and personalities were clashing which meant they dealt with some severe behaviors earlier in the day. Plus, a new client was just starting there- it was his first day. When we arrived, most of the consumers (except the person starting the program that day) were out in the community. About 40 minutes into the hour session people started to come back, some people were agitated and some people came in and out, some people really participated for the short time they were present. My boss said that this was an extremely unusual day. My initial feelings: It was a chaotic environment- especially being out in a open space.

My boss and I had a phone appointment yesterday to debrief (she had to zip off right after the session leaving zero time to talk). I felt better after that. We went through a list of clients that usually attend music and went through their likes and important details ---- like which clients you can approach and which clients you DO NOT want to interact with directly because of volatile (and sometimes violent) behaviors. yeah... good to know that kind of stuff. :) Sound exciting?

I thought I would be more scared of this type of environment, but I feel mostly excited. I think the nerves are normal, especially starting new things and I think I have about the right amount of nerves in balance with confidence and "fresh" ideas.

I won't go back there for a couple of weeks but I do work on Sunday. I'll work a whole 4 hours! This making money thing (although it isn't a whole lot) is kinda fun! Plus, I'm having fun keeping all of my receipts and mileage for taxes. The whole "writing off" thing is way too exciting. I'm going to keep the best records ever! I can't stop talking about it. And any excuse to make spread sheets is always an exciting event.

I'm currently looking for equipment to round out my collection of things I'll actually use instead of just want. I just purchased a pack of frame drums AND some boomwhackers. Maybe I'll put together a little recording to post... yeah. That would be a great use of my time. Stay tuned for that!


In the meantime, I am officially up on my boss' website!


Wooo hooo! Its official!

1 comment:

  1. Saving stuff for taxes becomes quite the obsession! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete