Saturday, January 22, 2011

The past week

Sorry Kids! Its been almost a week since I updated. Well... Not much has happened. I found a couple of new dresses for outings and the upcoming wedding and some shoes ( of course). Today I got a haircut.

For the next few days I am house/dog sitting the lovely Ms. Peaches. She's a little bit bigger since the last time I saw her AND she has really gotten a grasp on "fetch." We're playing as I type here.
She's such a cutie.

It will be nice to spend some down time. Maybe watch a bit of football and prepare for a session on Monday. that's right--- Another billable hour.
In fact, since I've posted, I've gained a couple more hours in my schedule starting in February. That's pretty exciting. I had a great chat with my boss this past week about long term goals and building my schedule by creating new work- just for me. Mom says that my boss must like what I'm doing. My boss and I also talked about my future in her company- from just being a contractor, to creating more work for me, to creating contracts for incoming contractors. I'm excited because I really want to learn the business side of providing services. its not something that they can teach in school--- it varies by geography, agencies, populations, even therapists and there just isn't enough time in school to cover it. THere is barely enough time to cover the mandatory/competency areas. My boss has been doing contract work for over 15 years in this area- so I think she will be one of the best teachers to enlist for help and post-bachelors study. :) Maybe someday, music therapy curriculum will encompass entrepreneurship, contract writing, and reimbursement (3 things that I am quickly learning are important in the real world).
This line of thought almost always begins, "well, when I have my own program and design my own curriculum...."

For now.... I am happy to grab some extra hours and learn some new techniques and sides of my field. My boss has a ton of experience using drum-play techniques (techniques that I don't have a lot of experience using), in addition to all the contract/business work. We're starting on Monday by doing a quick workshop so that she can share some basic techniques to use with the populations. I am excited, as I figure, my learning is never ever finished. I like that aspect of my career and discipline. There is always always more to discover and learn. Anyhooo, I'm on my way.

We're getting closer to february which is shaping up to be pretty busy! yay!

Thanks DiAnne for the reminder to update. Sorry to leave you all hanging!

No comments:

Post a Comment