Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Run-down

For the first 3 sessions, I shadowed the music therapist who is currently doing these sunday placements. Now that I am taking over, she gets her Sundays back! We are both excited. I met this music therapist at conferences--- she was the national student president while I was the western region student president. We've worked together before, but I don't think we've seen each other since the conference in 2009. It was fun to work with her in session (which I had never done) and to see her. We had a nice lunch and got to catch up on each other's gossip.

Session #1:
This was fun. This is the only individual session on my caseload at this time. The kid is super cute and very musical. He has some neurological issues due to some recent surgery and illness and he is a wonderful candidate for music therapy. I am looking forward to working with him. I think out of all the people I saw, that he will absolutely benefit from some of the improvisation training that I did in internship. I am excited because that means that I also will be able to work in that model- which is what I love.

Session #2:
Session 2 occurred in a home setting for a group of gentlemen with disabilities. It requires a lot of energy to get them going, but they were a great group. They have a definite routine that I will be fitting into at least when I start out. Thats the easiest way to build rapport. Once that foundation is solid, I will be able to infuse some subtle changes and all that.

Session #3:
Session 3 was in a facility that provides respite services for families with children or loved ones with disabilities. There weren't many clients there that afternoon, so we had a small and low-key group which was nice. It was nice after the high energy it took for session 2.

Session #4:
Session 4 was with my boss and it was in another home facility for 3 gentlemen. I felt a little overwhelmed and intimidated at first. It felt a little chaotic at first, but I had a good feeling by the end of the session. Sometimes you just have to jump in head first. Its paying off definitely. I got an email from my boss about creating new work for me! that's great! I would love more hours. AND it was about creating new work for me in the south bay, instead of the East Bay. I would LOVE that. Geez, we've done 2 or 3 sessions together and already she wants to talk about expanding-- that is extremely encouraging. It would work well for both of us. I would have some sessions closer to home that would require less driving and she would obtain more contracts. Sounds great to me.

After these four sessions (and four billable hours!! whoo hoo!) I was exhausted! Its a totally different way of using energy, especially with the driving between settings. I don't mind though. It feels good to be doing something in my chosen field! what a concept.

Ooh Forgot to mention! My Diploma arrived!!!!!! its officially official. I'll post a picture later!

1 comment:

  1. whoa whooa! Don't ya love billable hours?! I know I do and I'm already up to 30 with only 3 months in. Your future and new clients won't know what hit them! xoxo

    ReplyDelete