Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Avoidance or Good Therapy Boundaries???

In school they try to teach us about keeping your own ish separate from the music therapy session-- like "leaving your stuff at the door." Apparently the therapy sessions that you are responsible for are NOT in fact about You. The focus is always the client or group you are working with. Its an easy enough concept to understand, but sometimes its difficult to carry out, especially if there is stuff happening that you just can't get around.
At some point, if the therapy work or client is going to stuff because of things in your own life, its best to take a day to get your self back together. No one wins if something about the therapy will not be effective.

As someone who likes to sweep things under the rug, this is an awesome concept! Shoot. Something happens? Nope, can't deal with it now, I'm about to go into a session. At least thats how I was in school. That changed quite a bit during my internship. I think the thing for me to remember is that even though I get to push things aside, they will still be there when I am done for the day. and I WILL have to deal with it.

So take Sunday. I'm coming down from playing 7 consecutive shows of Guys and Dolls from the previous 3 days... I'm minding my own business, walked out to the car to see bits of my car all over the street. I called my dad in a panic! I had to get up to see my clients! I had to work! Long story short- my boss covered my morning session and Mom hung out with me all day while I stopped at my other three settings. It was nice to have my mom around in between sessions so that I wasn't by myself and obsessing over my car. When I had finished for the day, there was no time to deal because I went straight down to downtown SJ and finished up the last show of Guys and Dolls (bringing my tally up to 8 shows in a weekend) and then had to strike and pack up all of my stuff and haul it to the car. By the time I had everything packed in the car and the parking machine would not take my paid-for ticket... I had just burst into tears. I was so tired, my body hurt, I was mad that some jerk messed up my car (although completely repairable and paid for) and I still had to work the next day.

So I had a nice little cry and conversation with my friend Stacey and enjoyed my drive home. Then I crashed!
I'm feeling normal again. And it helped that I had fabulous sessions yesterday (which I will save for another post today.... I need a cup of coffee first). Followed by a fabulous surprise birthday party for my Auntie.

Today I slept in and it feels pretty darn good.
Everything in the end catches up with you, but I am thankful to have down time between these things to rest up and take care of myself.

1 comment:

  1. Pity Parties are totally acceptable, as long as it is for a finite time. Have the party, set the timeframe and move on. Good job...lesson #459.36? Or something like that.

    ReplyDelete