Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Dad says....

that I'm behind on updating. Its only been a few days.

not much to report really.
The christmas tree is officially up and decorated. It is epic. I'll post a picture of it soon.

I attended the funeral service of a former teacher this weekend. She was battling cancer for a few years now and she was a teacher that I was close to. I was even asked to read out of one of her favorite books at her service. I prepared my reading and all, but I didn't prepare anything else to say. The other people reading at the service had wonderful things to say and I just read from the book. I felt pretty bad, like I let my teacher down--- just as I felt that I let my teacher down when our plans to get together fell through (just a few days before she passed). I ended up writing her a letter after the service so that I could say all of the things that I wanted to and "should" have said at the service.
As I have learned throughout this year, writing is certainly an outlet for me that works. I haven't quite decided what I will do with the letter yet. But I immediately felt better after putting the pen to paper.

Now I am in full holiday reading mode. I just received a book about music therapy, sensory integration and people with autism. Its a fascinating read so far. And I like the author. I had to read a book by the same author for school once. Basically, people with sensory issues relating to spectrum disorders have such a hard time processing sensory input because the sheer amount of information creates a fear/anxiety spiral physiologically. That prevents any other information- sensory information and thus typical functional behaviors- from moving past the emotional part of brain to the neo-cortex (the part of the brain that is responsible for thinking and reasoning). Sooo their "atypical" behavior is a result of fear and the flight, fright, or fight response. That means that therapy is aimed at calming the senses so the brain can adequately process all the information coming in. Phew. I think that's how it works.
I do love my holiday reading.

This is also shedding new light on spectrum disorders and will help if/when I get some meetings with organizations that service this population. Nerd alert.


BTW, my website is up and running. My sissy did a wonderful job. She is a whiz, for sure.

This week is sort of uneventful. I have to get my oil changed. And I have a meeting with a friend of a friend who wants to talk about music therapy and starting my career. Also, some groups from High School will be performing at Christmas in the Park on Friday night. I think I'm going to go up and catch some performances. I do love the Mexican Hot Chocolate they sell there.

This weekend is rather full. Friday's meeting, possibly caroling at the VA, Christmas in the Park and Mom's office christmas party. Saturday - bridal shower for Julie's sister. Sunday- annual christmas tea/open house at my friend's house in San Jose. And Sissy comes home Monday! Yahoo!

Goodnight moon.

2 comments:

  1. Good night moon. What a wonderful book to read to you when you were young.

    Linda knows. And you know.

    ReplyDelete