Wednesday, December 29, 2010

2010: A (Quick) Year In Review

Lots of things happened this year.
I started making a long list of all of the things I learned and realized that it comes down to just a few but important things:

1. Listening
great for my professional life, but also great for my personal life. I found out that there is always more to learn, especially with the people we think we know best. I gained a greater understanding of myself, my family and my closest friends because I really started to listen. I also made new friends, dated a little, led a retreat for high school juniors, and reconnected with old friends. I learned a lot from all of those relationships. One thing that sticks out still is that junior who said, "confidence is a choice, not a quality." Well yes it is. I remember that fondly now as I start to carve out my post-internship life.
Phew. I learned a tremendous amount by opening up my ears (and heart).

2. Balance
What can I say about that? It all comes down to balance. Balancing work and play, thinking and speaking, thinking and doing, talking and listening, planning and spontaneity.

3. Laughing
Sometimes you just have to laugh. Most of life's problems seem laughable. I've laughed my way through stressful times during my internship, conferences, an awkwardly funny trip through Ohio, a "wonderful" trip to Michigan (that one isn't funny quite yet.. soon though), and a HILARIOUS New York adventure. I am thankful for the people with whom I've shared that laughter and those situations.

4. Pacing
Things are often better enjoyed when savored. If you go through life and experiences at the right pace (often slower!), you often have fewer "regrets," catch those subtle details and for-go the need to apologize. It's like the rules of improvisation that I learned almost a year ago. If you go slow, don't hold on to the things that need to be let go, and don't ever stop... there's no need for apologies or regrets. Always move forward, but I am now determined to enjoy the ride.

5. Mindfulness
We grow up learning that we should be courteous and that "sharing is caring." For me, for some reason, it finally clicked as Mindfulness. I've spent so much time of my short 23.5 years being selfish, making my way through school and life, caring about professional success, and making my mind up about the world and people as I learn about them as it relates to me and my plan. I had a narrow focus... of course as I've grown up and let certain people into my life and saw certain people go out of my life, my scope has widened. But this year, it clicked. Mindfulness is being courteous, following through, thinking before speaking, doing the right and ethical things, taking other people's views and feelings into true consideration.... just being a good person but being aware of it. Each action has an intention behind it. Doing something because "its something that I should do" is not really a good reason. I end up "should"ing all over myself.

I think its a lot to think about at first- each situation in life calls for something different right? We made 80,000 decisions a day (starting with "Do I get out of bed now... or hit snooze one last time?). Each decision we make in the day leads to another decision and then another decision. Practicing a little mindfulness each day grows into a habit and gradually, requires less thinking and conscious awareness. You start acting, thinking and relating on a different level.

That is the secret (my secret, at least). All of the outstanding individuals I know are some of the most mindful and courteous people I have ever met: My ITD, my boss from the Fair, ST, co-intern, parents, family, friends.

I proclaimed 2010 as "The Year of an Attitude of Gratitude".... I learned a ton and lived quite a bit. Laughed and cried. Found some great ice cream parlors, made new friends, lost a wallet a couple of times, even took a jacuzzi bath in a staircase. What a fabulous year. Lots of growing. I feel very thankful for everything that occurred even the "bad" stuff. :)
2011... We'll see how this one shapes up. I'm thinking "2011: Mindfulness Matters"...? Hmm... sort of catchy. I'll keep working on it.



3 comments:

  1. Awwwww this is soooooooo precious Ma! It's weird to think of you "growing" in so many ways, because I admire you for so many reasons. But when I stop to think about it, you've definitely been through some life-changing expriences. I love you. Stop hitting the refresh button.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miz Laurenz, a very intelligent post...Happy New Year, Sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, thank you. Five great words. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete