Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Preparation

Tomorrow I am going to make my first "cold" call.

Through some other contacts I was referred to an organization in the area that provides services to people of all ages with developmental disabilities. One of their campuses even includes "creative and performing arts buildings." I am very curious about what that means exactly and if they are using those buildings in the wide array of services they provide.

So I did a little research and I decided to give them a call tomorrow and find out more. They are looking to hire another therapist (speech/language) at this time, but maybe they are interested in what music therapy can offer their clients. I'm not sure. But it can't hurt to give them a call.
That's on the docket for tomorrow.

I have another phone call to make tomorrow to a music therapist who has been in this area for a while. I have a few questions for her. I've met her a few times at conference and she remembered who I was, so it will be nice to get connected.
I also have to finish up some materials.

Friday I am meeting a different music therapist for lunch. He just launched his private practice, so I'm sure he will be an excellent resource. He's already referred me to an email list and "support" type group of MTs in the area. I guess they meet a few times a year to get together and talk about how things are going, share resources etc.

Tonight I am headed up to my high school to catch the first christmas concert. My friend's sister is singing tonight and his mother invited me up for the concert and dinner afterwards. The mother has been instrumental in passing along my resume at her school and possibly getting a meeting with one of the directors there. I'm still waiting to hear about that. Anyhow, it will be nice to catch a concert.

I am finding that this process requires a lot of patience. A lot of waiting. I did happen upon a whole new list of organizations in my search today, so I have more research (and I'm sure cold calls) to do. I'm making my list. Checking it twice. Just like Santa.

So onward patience... I wonder if I can buy that somewhere. Perhaps I'll add it to my christmas list. Right under the shuffleboard set. :)

1 comment: