Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Gearing up for a New Year

I've been letting the big news of my employment sink in and also enjoying the holidays which meant ignoring my blog for a week or so.
Currently I'm house/dog sitting the fabulous Ms. Peaches. We've had fun times together including staying out of the rain, taking naps and playing ukulele. Turns out that she is not fond of the sound and rudely leaves the room. Today I'm going to work on some music therapy repertoire for my session on monday! Read a bit and hang with peach. I also am starting to think more about regional conference in April. My presentation proposal was accepted! I'm keeping busy.

Christmas was fabulous. We had fun and games christmas eve and delicious homemade raviolis and Christmas Day I fixed a lamb roast for my family that turned out to be extremely tasty! We don't do much for christmas any more, but I did receive some car mats for Knoxie from my parents. Thank you!

I start my new job on Monday, I can hardly believe it! This time last year I was packing up boxes, setting up a blog and getting ready to move to new york for my internship. My how this year flew by! It was jam-packed too! After 2010, I am excited to see what 2011 brings.

Some people really get into the whole resolution thing but I find that if I make them, I break them in like two weeks. But I find that if I decide to do small things that I am more successful. That means setting the bar real low! I love that. There are smaller things that I can do to work up to the big things and I will end up being more successful... like getting into the habit of eating regular meals (and less crazy snacking) or upping my exercise by doing something small everyday--- like going for a brisk walk or doing a bit of yoga- switching it up so I don't get bored. To me those are smaller things to focus on, but perhaps with a big reward. Maybe its psychological, but it works for me.

Soo... my tentative "goals" (I'm still fleshing them out) for the year 2011:
1. Music therapy stuff - maybe create one solid connection and start working on a possible contract or position. To me that's obvious and something that I'd do anyway.
But its good to write it down, then I become accountable.

2. Keeping better track of my life (especially finances, now that I will have some of my own regularly)--- you know.... being an adult and getting a little more organized. That might mean less Bevilacqua impulse shopping!

3. less sitting around. less snacking. more moving. :) I think having a job will help with that, giving me more to do and think about in the week. And it will give me more structure which means I can make time for more exercise.
I really want to take a kick boxing class but I think I'm going to wait to get something like a gym membership or signing up for classes until my income is more steady. Or find a gym buddy. Ty and I talked about that. I think its easier to get motivated when you have someone to go with. We'll see what happens. For now I love my yoga videos and occasionally (although becoming more frequent) taking it to the streets for a jog/walk.

What are some things you might be thinking about for the new year?



No comments:

Post a Comment