Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Tuesday

Tuesday comes between Monday and Wednesday.

Monday I had a couple of sessions and I have a story.
Music Therapy Story of the Week:
I was doing a drumming group at a day program for older adults. I have clients as old as 97 in that group. In fact one of my 97 year old clients was singing harmony with me on a few songs. Anyhow, We were singing an old classic- a song that everybody knows when this other woman started making up her own verses. They were great. The fit in the structure of the song and she just kept singing them out. I changed the music a little bit to just a simple improvised chant about playing together and this woman started speaking rhythmically..... well.... rapping. She was rapping about being kind to each other, taking care of one another and that "everything will be alright." So I took some of what she was saying and put it into the chant. It was a real organic type of thing. But her rapping was amazing and the content was brilliant-- universal but also related to the previous song. Shoot. I love those moments.



Now Wednesday I am doing a session at a preschool. Its the preschool thats connected with the school I've been talking to since January. I'm doing two sessions tomorrow morning- one for each class. They are trying to figure out if MT is something they want to add into their preschool program. So the purpose is to show them that they do. :) They may not know that they want it and I have to show them that they absolutely do. Soooo I have to make sure I know what I'm doing for tomorrow. I don't think I'll feel confident about it until I actually get in there or figure out what kind of music I'm doing to do. My plan right now looks pretty good, I just need to go over it. I think I may bring copies of it to show the director--- my plans are organized by experiences (greeting, instrumental improv etc) and underneath each experience I have goals, objectives, and rationales listed. It's pretty genius if I do say so myself. Most of that is for me. I like to be clear on what I'm working towards and WHY. In case someone asks, I can straight up tell them what I was going for and if it worked or not. :)

Alright. It's also Tortilla soup Tuesday, so I'm headed down to Gilroy (I've been dogsitting my bulldogter, Peaches) for lunch and to pick up an outfit or something for tomorrow.
That be all folks. Send me happy thoughts tomorrow morning!

1 comment: