Monday, January 25, 2010

Boomwhackers!

Today I got to participate in an actual session... well a session and a half. The first session was with a client that I'd never seen before. This particular gentleman will be on my caseload. He's very musical and expressive in other arts mediums--- he's also very playful. He and the ITD were going back and forth with rhythm imitation and exploring the sounds in the room with boomwhackers (pictured to your left here). He turned around and saw me sitting there and invited me to join in the fun. He actually started to swing the large orange one in my direction, so I stuck my foot out. We all laughed and my ITD tossed me one so I could join in the fun.

For those of you who don't know, boomwhackers are pitched tube made of plastic. They are virtually indestructible. Sound is created by hitting the tube against something else, like another boomwhacker, piano, bench, walls, knees, hands, heads... anything at all really. Sound is created by minimal force and movement so using these can create experiences that are fun and provide opportunities for success.

The second session that I got to participate in was with a client that I'd had observed in week one. I actually got to play along side the client using the drum and reed horns. It was exciting to actually be active in the session and start connecting with the clients on my caseload.

This morning we had a chart reading inservice. We learned where to access the main charts, how to sign them out and where to find pertinent information. We observed a few other sessions with clients on our caseload but ones that we had not observed. One of the many perks about this internship is the chance to co-treat with my internship director. I don't know if all other interns have the opportunity, but I think its amazing that we do. I think its wonderful that my ITD has her own caseload and maintains her practice within the facility. Its nice to observe all types of therapists, but I think there is something to be said for being able to observe an advanced level therapist working in this model. Maybe I'm biased.
My co-intern and I also have the opportunity to treat a client together in a 2:1 setting. That, I think, is going to be a blast too.

After sessions and chart reading and more sessions, we watched a video about the Willowbrook State School on Staten Island. Willowbrook was an institution for people with developmental disabilities and at one time was the largest facility of its kind. For those who watched the news in the early 1970s, Geraldo Rivera did an expose on the inhumane treatment of the clients and horrifying living conditions at Willowbrook. We watched the original expose with a very young Geraldo and a follow up video made in the 80s. We've also had reading on the subject. That inspired a discussion on the history of institutions and what kind of leaps we've made and what work is still left to be done. Our ITD said something inspiring about making progress in the services provided to people with disabilities. She said that often after watching this video and gaining a little historical perspective, that interns are either "well what can I do, I'm just an intern" OR "I'm going to change the world now!" I can understand the extremes. It seems like common sense to me to think that people with disabilities are first and foremost, people and that they deserve every service and right guaranteed to people without disabilities. So I can understand that someone would feel passionate about changing the system or whatever. I also understand how intimidating it is to start as an intern-- that's where I am! What can I do? I'm just an intern. I don't actually know anything- even after 4 years of studying. But our ITD provided a little clarity by sharing her philosophy on the matter. She talked about how people here act differently towards interns and if we are setting an example by treating clients with dignity, respect, light hearted-ness, and humor, it will remind them to do the same. That creates change. Change can also happen by working with clients and helping facilitate positive change in their lives- whether its in the moment or long-lasting.
I felt fired up after that.
I've decided that its nice to wake up and be excited and inspired about what you do.

1 comment:

  1. I got my very own set of Boom Whackers for Christmas!!! Too fun!

    ReplyDelete