Thursday, January 21, 2010

Thursday? Where did the week go?

I think I will make this post short because I have three days of events to journal about. Part of my final paper for this internship has to do with all of my journaling and I always forget.

I will recount today's highlights:

Observations at Geneva were very interesting and not because the sessions were unusual but because we arrived to a rearranged room. Some sensory integration tools and equipment were moved into the music therapy/multi-purpose room. Let's just say, that we got an excellent lesson in compromise, how to keep your cool and explain what you need to others, and professionalism. We moved the furniture around a little bit for today. The space was tiny to begin with, but I think we did the best with what we were given. An excellent lesson. The clients were great, if not a little discombobulated over the new room set-up. One gentleman in particular had my co-intern and I just in stitches. He's hilarious and was very excited to see two new faces in his session. I think he was trying to show off a little. We rushed back to Tymeson for lunch and Bevi-Brownies which were a big hit.

We had another piano inservice today to look at a couple of precomposed songs by Nordoff-Robbins. We learned to listen as a whole and then deconstructive the music in a number of ways. The more comfortable we are with the music and the more we know the music, the more we can use it effectively in session. That includes creating intros and transitions to and from these songs to keep the music going. For some clients, if the music stops, the container for the session collapses... its like knocking the wind out of the music therapeutic process sails.
I like being busy during the day. Sitting in a class all morning and most afternoon was pretty horrible.

I have a lot of other music therapy stuff to do, but when I get home, I just can't seem to focus on anything but internship stuff, like practicing. Its a mix between that and just crashing on the couch. I know I should give myself a little break here because of all the adjustments I've had to make and realistically, my internship is my number one priority. Sigh. It's hard to give myself that little extra wiggle room.

My co-intern ( I may even start calling her by her first name soon--- I just have to get her permission) and I have planned several adventures. We have a lot of similar qualities but are just different enough. Its been fun to get to know her so far and spend time hanging out. We're both the type to just be happy spending time alone but we are both motivated by little adventures, as long as we're not left to our own devices. So we've decided to go on some outings. First and foremost, we are on a mission to get to the nearest Sonic. That very well may happen this weekend. The closest sonic is in Chenango, NY. Other plans on the calendar include the Ice Wine Festival and The "Zoo Brrrew." Those are happening in February. March is already looking like a busy month with the regional music therapy conference in Pittsburgh for a couple of days, a former intern coming out to visit and then the western regional conference in las vegas-- that leads right into April.
That's like the halfway point! Geez. This is all happening so fast!

The next week or so brings on a whole ton of observations but also an inservice on chart reading, more practicing, another piano inservice on pentatonic blues and more observations and more chart reading, and then more observations and more chart reading. I will probably get to start participating in sessions (just a little bit) by next week!
Time to eat and sleep! I'm exhausted.

1 comment:

  1. Keep those Brownies going. They will be a good escape from your busy schedule. Sonic--Magid will be happy to know.

    ReplyDelete