Sunday, January 24, 2010

Lake Ontario

Today I met up with a friend of mine that I met while going to school at Chapman. It feels really random that we both ended up out here. There is another girl out here that graduated from Chapman that is studying out here as well. But she wasn't available to come to breakfast.

Anyhow, my friend lives about 5 minutes away from Lake Ontario. She's been studying for her Masters at Eastman and has been here since the fall. It's nice because she knows her way around and will eventually introduce me to her friends there. Eastman also throws events like wine tastings and ski trips and she mentioned that she'd bring me along to some of these events. I was really excited to hear this. Its hard to motivate myself to go out and explore the surroundings. But now that I know someone who knows of fun spots and knows her way around, I think that I will be getting out more. I left feeling really happy and thankful that I will
have some friends and support here outside of music therapy- not that hanging with people from work won't be great-- but it will be nice to hang with a different people and have a good time.

After a lovely breakfast and spending time just catching up, she took me to the Ontario Beach Park - literally about a 3 minute car ride and we had the chance to walk around a little bit. It's a lovely park.
There are a few stages, a carosel, and little gazebo things overlooking the water. I've been having a problem with uploading photos to this thing, so I'll have to post these photos to my facebook as a whole (But here are some of them. The photo above is of the lake and little bay by the coast guard building). Beyond the gazebo and far in the distance are all the lakefront homes. My friend took me through the nice neighborhood. The houses are beautiful and so east coast looking. AND real estate here is awfully cheap. I could probably get a lake front home for the same price as a condo in LA.


The Coast Guard house right to the left here.
Its the tall white house and actually there were some coast guard people doing some training drills in the water on tiny boats. There was ice in the water and therefore,
I just didn't understand why people where in the water. Although it was warm. We were walking around without heavy jackets- meaning it was in the low 40s. The wind obviously makes things cooler here, especially next to water, but it was nice to be able to walk around and see what is out there beyond my little apartment and work sites.I had an excellent day hanging with my old friend and seeing a little bit of the sights. She only lives about 20 minutes away. Everything here is like the distance between Gilroy and Cochrane Rd. Everything. Its nice that I am so used to driving. Commuting is definitely not a big deal after going back and forth from Mitty for a few years. I am now thankful for that part of the experience because its definitely prepared me for all the commuting that I'm doing every week.

Also, I have some observational notes about my desk lamp. On the first setting, the lamp makes the most annoying high pitched sound. I can hardly take it. I guess I should be thankful that I can still hear this whiny pitch. It turns on at random times but on more than one occasion it turns on at the exact time that I touch the track pad of my computer. It turns on when I plug things in at the desk. But it also turns on while I'm in my bedroom. I was just getting into bed last night and I could tell that the lamp had turned on. It's bizarre.

Tonight, my co-intern is coming over. I think we'll order in and watch a movie and just relax. She said it'll give her an excuse to get some stuff done that she's been putting off all day. I think it will be nice to chill out. I didn't really feel like driving to Newark tonight especially because I will be back there tomorrow morning. Maybe I will be introducing her to the finer elements of the classic movie musical. We'll see what happens.







No comments:

Post a Comment