Sunday, January 10, 2010

Its too cold to go out...

One of the reasons for being excited about this particular internship is the required reading and projects. Sounds lame, eh? Most people finish school to avoid having reading lists and projects—although these concepts and deadlines exist everywhere.

I have been working on two books before my internship actually started. The first was “Defining Music Therapy” by Ken Bruscia. I had to read this while studying at Chapman and from a note/phone number on the inside flap, our class read it in 361 (Fall 07). Our class was structured in a way that we had (a ton of) assigned reading plus discussion questions to be addressed in small groups in class. In fact, Brianna and I almost ended our friendship over a question about a nursing home (or similar topic). Answers from groups had to be unanimous. Anyhow we had to read this book and dissect it apart in our second semester of pre-clinicals. I have to say that it was nice reading it again with more experience, knowledge and historical perspective. I did get some new gems and it was interesting to notice the difference between the “important” things I underlined then and the “important” things I underlined and described now. And yes, if you were wondering, I made TONS of charts.

I never realized how applicable that book is. I guess I wasn’t paying much attention the first time.

What really has inspired me to write a post about my reading is everything I’m learning from “Therapy in Music for Handicapped Children” by Paul Nordoff and Clive Robbins. It makes sense that this book made the reading list in part because I will be studying the Nordoff-Robbins approach to music therapy. It covers how their work began and the philosophical beginnings of an improvisational model that changed the field.

Anyhow, I have enjoyed diving into this book and learning new and interesting things about the work. I have met Clive Robbins and have played for him on a couple of occasions. He’s a magical guy (and I want him to be my grandpa) with just the gentlest spirit and whimsical nature. Reading his words is like being with his kindness and regard for each client that he’s ever encountered. It may be a little outdated in terminology (originally published in 1971), but the concepts are resonating deeply. I thought of Helen, my teacher from Chapman, and how a lot of what I’m reading corresponds to many parts of her philosophy and teaching. Just another reminder that all of the seemingly crazy things we had to do in her class were for a purpose. She will smile if she reads this and say, “Yea, I told you so. I had a plan.”

I guess it has been a pleasure to find literature that is enlightening, rather timeless, and in line with the things I believe. Sometimes it’s hard to express how or why you believe in what you do, or how/why you love your job or chosen path. It is comforting to read and know that other people have done it for you in a way. It’s a nice read. I am now more excited to get to work and see how it all manifests in a clinical session.

It’s amazing to be so enthused about what you do.

Yea, I know. I’m a nerd.

No comments:

Post a Comment