Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The quickest way to get rid of an ear worm


You're probably wondering, why is this post so early in the day? Well, we have an early day today! However, I will still be busy with my reading and definitely a couple hours of quality practice. On Tuesdays, our ITD works at one of the FLDDSO facilities in the morning and then goes off site in the afternoon. She does some private contract work through a school district on Tuesday afternoons and it was not appropriate to have interns observe these sessions. We did however, observe 4 very different sessions this morning at the E. Henrietta facility. All of those clients will remain on our ITD's caseload. The energy is different this week. Starting off after a long weekend was tough. My co-intern and I had yawning matches between sessions. The sessions were dynamic, but definitely on a different level than my first week. I think its the reality now settling in. The first week is over and now its time to settle into a routine. I do like routines.

The last client we observed requested "Here, There and Everywhere" as her last song and I now can't get it out of my head.

So I ask, what is the quickest way to get rid of an earworm? An earworm meaning a song that you just can't get out of your head.

My mom's old standby: "Strangers in the Night" but in 3/4 time.

I've had significant success with this method, although sometimes I get Strangers in the Night stuck in my head to replace the previous song.

A suggestion from my co-intern: "Bennie and the Jets"

She says this song works so well because most people only know the "B-b-b-bennie and the Jetssssssssssss" part. Sing that part once and the earworm is gone forever.

I'm currently taking other suggestions as this happens to me quite frequently. If you have a sure fire way, please feel free to share.


In other EXCITING news: I received my Wegmans Shoppers Club Card in the mail and officially broke it in Sunday afternoon. I saved $1.00. I am clearly on my way.

Yesterday I had a chance to Skype with my friends Stacey and Maggie in Arizona. They were wearing flip-flops. If they ever read this blog, they will know how much I enjoyed our Skype date. Apparently my posts are too long for Maggie to read and she will require cliff-notes. What a pain the ass. Maggie starts classes today and I will miss meeting up with her and my other friends in the MET lab or before classes. Now that ASU classes have started, I think the reality of my new routine will officially sink-in.

I'm catching up on some reading this afternoon in addition to do a spot of laundry. Oh! My new shoes arrived in the mail today courtesy of Zappos. They are perfect. I needed a good pair of brown shoes with good soles, made for cold and sloshy climates. My rocket dogs just won't do the trick here- at least not until April.

Tomorrow my co-intern and I have "Computer Class!" Basically we have to sit for 8 hours to learn how to use our email accounts, access charts, and save things appropriately. Oh well. At least it will only take 10 minutes to get to class tomorrow.

Oookayy, that about wraps it up for today! Happy Tuesday!

3 comments:

  1. Maybe Dad and I should consider buying stock in Wegman's?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear the Rocket Dogs are pushed to the back of the closet, for now.

    Song suggestion: Lyle Lovett has a great new song on his album called "Pantry," maybe that will work! Glad to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New shoes and not from Wegmans? Tsk Tsk

    ReplyDelete