Saturday, January 23, 2010

Its Sweatshirt Weather!

Its 35 and sunny! This = sweatshirt weather! Its absolutely beautiful. Today I had to pick up some groceries but I took a leisurely stroll through Barnes and Noble. I didn't see anything of note, but it was nice to sleep in and take my time doing something. There has been a lot of "hurry up and wait" with getting to work in the morning, having an hour free to read to practice and then observations or what ever inservice.

Friday was a hurry up and wait. We didn't observe any sessions in the morning. Instead I
took the time to finish up one of my books and jot down a few questions and considerations to bring up in supervision. Our ITD asked to hear them at lunch, so we had a lovely lunch time philosophical discussion of "music as therapy" vs "music in therapy." This comes from one of our books, "Defining Music Therapy" by Ken Bruscia. I had to read this book at Chapman in 2007 and reread it for internship. The book brings up a lot of "problems" or difficulties in the field relating to what is music therapy and what is not and the different levels and areas of practice. There is a lot to absorb and I definitely got something different from reading it this time and it is nice to have the opportunity to go over it.
We observed some somatron sessions in the afternoon (www.somatron.com). Those were interesting; we could see clients be in music in a totally different way. Afterwards we did a "name that instrument" inservice for the sake of calling the instruments the same thing and for understanding the charts. Then we had our individual supervision. I had a startling revelation Thursday night. I need to get in the habit of self-care. Thursday night was really one of the first nights that I realized how different my new reality is and how many changes have happened in only a few weeks. So I am taking note of my priorities, keeping my "Lauren" time for my leisure activities and trips to Wegmans, and trying to consider using the words: "Delegation" and "No." My friend Alli talked me through the whole thing to identify my priorities and all
that. Its lucky that we had that little chat early on before I really was in too deep. ANyhow, my ITD was able to relate and talk out a little bit of what was going on. Its nice to have a developing relationship with my supervisor and that she's interested and concerned with our process and adjustments.

I didn't do much last night. There are plans for this weekend to get together with a couple of friends from Chapman who are studying at Eastman. Tomorrow we are having breakfast. I'm excited to catch up with them and see what's been going on. These two girls graduated a year ahead at chapman and so we left all at the same time. I'm looking forward to it. After breakfast tomorrow, my co-intern and I may catch a movie or see what kind of damage we can do in Palmyra. It looks like Palmyra has some interesting downtown shops that would be fun to explore. We probably should do that before the weather turns! If we end up in palmyra tomorrow, I'll take a few photos. I finally had the chance to catch up on all of my Hulu shows! We had to stop our ITD from talking about 30 rock yesterday afternoon. No one likes a spoiler.
It has been nice to disengage for a while and zone out AND to sleep in this morning AND to do my errands with a leisurely pace. Tonight I'm thinking that it will be a good opportunity to cook and clean in my kitchen and just relax.
Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend!


PS. It turns out that Wegmans has an excellent candy selection. I'm having gummi bears for lunch. Yum.

1 comment:

  1. I thought DiAnne and I had taught you better eating habits than "gummi bears for lunch." You hung out at the AgriFair enough to learn that! You might have to come back for Food theme this year so we can teach you, it's part of making "Lauren" a priority in the right way.

    ReplyDelete