Monday, January 11, 2010

Day 01...

That's right ladies and gentlemen. Today I received REAL KEYS!!!!! REAL KEYSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For those of you who do not know, I have been ineligible for keys while working at the San Diego County Fair. Apparently, the reigning policy is that to get keys to your building, you have to be a college graduate. I got a set of training keys last summer-- a playskool teething ring in the shape of keys. I even graduated to real keys, only they did not go to the current buildings on the fair grounds (or even in the state). I guess they do things a little differently in the state of New York. I have a total of (count em) 5 keys and they all go to things and rooms that I need to access.





My first day went really well! It was a lot of sitting in the office and being oriented to the facility, the internship, and all of their policies. We also went over a lot of American Music Therapy Association (AMTA) documents. The wonderful thing about my ITD (Internship Director) is that she has been a supervisor and director for many years. She has also been involved in AMTA for many years. While we were going over all of the documents she had or contributed to the history. She knew why the document was created, who created it, where the field was and how it was progressing at the time the document was drafted. I love all of that history. I think it gives students a great idea of how far we've come but also how far we've yet to go with music therapy. Her telephone is a music therapy "celebrity" hit parade- with one call after another. I get star-struck about the dumbest things. :)

Not much left to report on for today. The commute was absolutely manageable. It was beautiful this morning, especially the watching the sunrise on my way to work. The sky was a beautiful shade of red--- I was not surprised when it just started snowing as I got home. You know... red sky in the morning, sailor take warning. So now its snowing. But the drive takes about 45-50 minutes. The roads were all clear this morning. Its a serene experience to drive here. They don't drive like they do in California. Thank goodness. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of horrible drivers here. In fact, I have seen more people run red lights here in the past week than I have in my entire life. But the majority of people I've seen are content in taking their time. It's a smart thing to do when the roads are horrible. Anyhow. Its been a really positive experience so far.

Tomorrow is more observations at my second work-site. Its about 30 miles in the opposite direction. I am absolutely exhausted but still enjoying myself. OH! My modem came today. I am officially updating from my apartment. Thank goodness. I'm off to make some dinner and get some rest. More tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Keys! NY must have different policies.
    Congratulations!
    At least you have had enough training in San Diego so you will know how to use them and not loose them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true Holly. I wouldn't be ready for these real keys had I not had the proper training....

    ReplyDelete