Saturday, January 30, 2010

What happens when you leave your lights on?

I wish I were talking about my haunted touch lamp. Nope. I left my car lights on and accidentally killed my battery. I called AAA and they came out and tried two boxes, but that didn't work. So the car had to be towed 30 miles north to Rochester so that I could find a local place. It took about 3 hours- the whole ordeal. My supervising therapist was with me and Kari the entire time, drove us back to Rochester to the car place and then dropped us home. It was horribly embarrassing and some other stuff. But I will save the dramatics. I called this morning and they took a look and it needs a new battery. They can't check for other problems until that happens AND of course, a new battery will not arrive until Monday. So please send good thoughts to Annabelle (the car, of course) that there won't be any more problems. Otherwise I'm going to have them put in the battery and then take her to the BMW place for a spa day. It was a very stressful afternoon BUT was mostly redeemed by the hockey game. As you can see, we had excellent seats for the Rochester Americans vs. Albany River Rats game.
We had a blast!
At least I did... I mean by the time we got there. We missed the first period due to all the car nonsense, but we got there right in time for the start of the second period. They played well. There were 2 fights and it was awesome. It was Kari's first game and I think she had a good time. I know I did. Its been fun hanging out with her. It was dollar draft and dog nights and I am please to inform you all that we tasted White Hots last night.

White hots are a Rochester delicacy so I'm told. I had to look up a little information when I got home last night. This is taken from Wikipedia:
"The white hot is a variation on the hot dog found in Rochester, New York and the upstate area.[1] It is composed of some combination of uncured and unsmoked pork, beef, and veal; the lack of smoking or curing allows the meat to retain a naturally white color.[2] White hots usually containmustard and other spices, and often include a dairy component such as nonfat dry milk.

The white hot originated in the 1920s[citation needed] in Rochester's German community as a "white and porky"[1] alternative to high-price red hot dogs, made of the less desirable meat parts and various fillers; in contrast, modern versions are made from quality meats and generally are sold at higher prices than common hot dogs.

The best-known producer of the white hot is Zweigle's. Even though they were not the first to make the dog, they were "the first ones at the stadium" (according to Robert Berl, the first maker of the Zweigle brand white hot). Soon after Berl began making the dogs in 1925, he secured a contract at the Red Wing Stadium. The white hot has become the official hot dog of the Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres, Rochester Amerks and Rochester Rhinosand was the official hot dog of the Washington Nationals during the major league baseball team's first season.[citation needed]

There is an unrelated white German sausage, traditional in Bavaria and popular in the mid-western United States, known as weisswurst, which is made primarily from veal."

Thanks Wikipedia.


Anyhow, the white hots were good. They tasted like sausages and with a dollar draft they tasted pretty good. And the were Zweigles dogs! gee- how exciting. The game was great... the Amerks lost because they pulled their goalie in the last 30 seconds and the other team scored! then the Amerks scored. It was pretty hilarious because people started leaving-- but once the amerks scored that last goal, people were yelling to the rest of their parties to "Hold up. Come back!" Unfortunately they lost 4-3. If they kept the goalie it would've gone into over time. Oh well. We had a brisk walk back to Kari's car and she dropped me home. I did try to find a suitable canadian to go out with at the game- as that is the running joke. Originally I've been looking for a canadian lumber jack to date, but I figure, that a hockey player will do. I could kill two birds with one stone and find someone wearing plaid and faux suede boots at a hockey game. The search continues.

It felt like a marathon day- Oh yea. we did observations and I had supervision with my supervising therapist. The sessions were great and I am excited to add the fellas to my caseload. They are going to be a hoot. One client gets so excited- his face is just so expressive and you can see the crescendo and the excitement build in his face until he can hardly stand it anymore and this huge smile just takes over his face and movements. It reminds me that we are capable of facilitating positive change in people's lives with music and the interactions and relationships in music. Cool, eh?


This weekend's plans have changed as I am currently car-less. I have a rental car set up for tomorrow so that I can get around and to work on Monday. Its horribly inconvenient. But I'm using to today to clean up my apartment, hopefully start on some laundry (if I ever get up off the couch) and taking care of some other music therapy business. I don't know if I'll get as far as the laundry- Sister Act II : Back in the Habit is coming on lifetime right now. We all know how much I love Mary Wickes and Dame Maggie Smith.


So the first month of my internship is now over and it is flying. I can't believe how quick its moving. I'm already participating in sessions, reading charts, and soon- probably the next two weeks- will start taking an even more active role in sessions. Life is moving right along and I'm always trying to enjoy the moment and look forward to the next set of moments, challenges, etc.

The weather has been frigid and I think the change in the weather from cold to freezing has tamed my heater. Its manageable in here now. The lamp is still haunted. At least some things don't change.

Now I'm taking the time to just chill out after yesterday's craziness. Hope everyone is having a nice weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment