Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Wednesday


This was taken before getting on the road this morning. The snow is finally back and the cold weather is setting in. When I got ready to leave this morning the sidewalk and parking lot hadn't been ploughed yet. I leave in the morning when its dark out and often get home as the sunsets. Long days, but I'm still having fun. I have to say, I was cracking up on my drive this morning because there are about three songs that play EVERY morning on my way to work. Each are feature below as youtube links. Brilliant.

"One Day" Matisyahu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z50Yf7hFnhA

"Bad Romance" Lady Gaga (The best song to play "name that tune" to... RA)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrO4YZeyl0I

"Never Let You Go" Third Eye Blind
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwYEvz5W1gU

These three songs, without fail, play on my commute every week day. Sometimes I feel like this particular region is a little stuck in 1996 or so-- despite the Top 40 radio stations. I can't complain really because I happen to like the music that came from the 90s. Even the soft rock stations here play songs that KBAY was playing 15 years ago, except for Delilah. I only wish they'd play a little Pat Benetar every now and then.

Anyhow, we had a pretty standard crazy Wednesday. We started with sessions this morning- all of which involved the somatron. Its interesting to see each client, with their preferred music, engage in a receptive music experience. Hmmm... maybe I should explain more. According to Bruscia (one of the books I read for internship), there are four types of music therapy experiences: Improvisation, Re-creative experiences, Composition and Receptive experiences. Improvisation includes what you might think of improvisation. It includes experiences like spontaneously creating melody, harmony, rhythm or song... like drumming. Recreative experiences aren't just performance but includes "rendering, realizing, reproducing or interpreting" any existing piece of music with or without an audience, for example sing alongs. Composition involves creating new musical products. Receptive experiences are those that seem passive and involve listening. While in the somatron, clients can feel the music through vibrations and while this can be an active experience... the main musical thing happening is listening. I hope that makes sense. Its interesting to see the client's body language change as they relax and settle, at least for a little while. I can't wait for our own Somatron Inservice so that I can experience what its like to really feel music this way.

We also had our audition today with a client. She had given us two pieces to learn so that she could make an informed decision about who she wants as her primary therapist. I am sad to say that she did not pick me. I've been grieving all day through brownie consumption. This client is so sweet and apparently the decision was very difficult to make. Hey, when it just works it works. My ITD and my co-intern walked in on me after I was 'excused' from the session to me sitting at my desk eating a left-over Bevi Brownie. Oh well. It has been fun to kind of bring up throughout the day. We spend a lot of time laughing in that office already. Its wonderful.

We had a few afternoon sessions. I think some of the clients are getting used seeing us around. We were sized up by a few this afternoon. I'm just thankful that the clients allow us to be in their sessions. Which reminds me. I've been wanting to write a little something on confidentiality. The clients that I will be working with are protected by a number of things-- policies, laws, documents, ethics--- to protect their private information, including diagnoses, what kind of services they receive and all that other good stuff. So while I'd love to paint a clear picture of what may happen in a music therapy session or talk about how diagnoses may manifest in music behaviors, I can't. I'd love to tell you all about it, but I wouldn't want my music therapist or any therapist talking about what was said or what happened in session on the internet. I think that's pretty easy to understand. We had a conversation about this in the office and we looked at the standards of professional practice and code of ethics and how that might (or might not) apply to the ever changing role of technology in our field. Anyhow, I just wanted to say a little something about that.

We had our piano inservice today on the pentatonic blues. So fun! It felt like we really had a chance to play with each other. I am really enjoying re-learning the piano and having the freedom to explore all of the different ways to create sound. Also, I am starting to participate more and more in sessions with the clients on my caseload! Tomorrow I am even playing the piano in a session for one particular intervention. I hope I know enough to provide a good experience BUT as we like to say, It's not really about me. I have to keep remembering that.

My co-intern gave me permission to give her name, so now when I write about the many adventures of the interns it will include Kari. She's awesome AND on Friday we are going to a hockey game. I'm currently looking for various adventures to fill a couple of upcoming weekends. What I would really love to do is find a good time to get out to Boston to see my very best friend Julie. If you think my schedule is crazy, you should see hers! Extra sassy. I'm not exactly sure how she does it and it continues to be impressive. The problem is finding a good time that works with everyone's schedule... sooo.... we'll see what happens with that.
There's a lot I want to see around here and plenty of time to explore.

Well, I have to practice and get ready for tomorrows sessions. Then, I am fully committed to putting in my fair share of couch-time. Happy potato-ing to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment