Sunday, April 18, 2010

Conference Take 2



Phew, going to 2 music therapy conferences is ridiculously draining.

I won't recount the details of getting there because you can read those short updates below. I did finally arrive to LAS two hours later than expected. Once I got my bag and headed over to the hotel, I met up with Lillie, my advisor as president, in the lobby and checked into my suite. We walked over to my suite to put my stuff away- thankfully my suite was ready! And wow!! Our conference chair hooked me up!!! She put me up in the "Vegas Suite" which is a two story suite, with a jacuzzi tub in the staircase, double headed shower, kitchen and living area on the first floor with a half-bath there, plus a King sized bed. It was amazing. I saw the first VP later that afternoon and asked if she had something to do with my accomodations, and she said, "isn't that what you wanted?" Bahaha. YES. We laughed because for a good year I have been crazy over the suites with the jacuzzi tubs in the staircase and voila. I got one.


Lillie and I had lunch at the hardrock and played catch up. It was good to talk with her. She is doing well and was interested in hearing what I'm doing and all my woes. She holds a lot of experience as a music therapist and has really been a solid support for me in the few months leading up to conference. She pointed out that, at the root of it all, I have an important decision to make - you know at the end of the day. Do I hang on to all the stupid crap that stressed me out the past few weeks OR do I let it go and continue to build my professional relationships. Obviously the latter, but Lillie and I had a good laugh while I was trying to decide. I actually got to spend A LOT of time with her which was wonderful. We hung out in her room, where she told me her story of how she came in to MT and then by the pool. I couldn't rest enough to take a nap- by that time I'd been up for like 18 hours or something. I was too worried that I'd be missing something. So I took a bath in my jacuzzi tub in the staircase instead. It was fabulous.
Later that night was a symposium on music therapy open to the public moderated by the AMTA National Government Relations person. She is actually employed by the National office. She is absolutely brilliant and hilarious. I got to spend a fair amount of time with her, as well. After the symposium, we had our first board meeting regarding grants and money awards. Luckily it was done by 11. In reality I was up for 23.5 hours- and will probably never what to do that again. :) Jillian, the VP on the student board, arrived that evening and spent the night in my room. While I was in my meeting she was out catching up with Lillie. She came in about midnight or so. I was already semi-passed out with the Disney channel on- which she thought was hilarious.
She came in and had to break the news to me that Eric, who had planned the opening session and on the internship panel, was not coming to conference because of a new job. So she was getting reading for bed and said, "I have good news!" I perk up, "Oh tell me!" and she says, "Eric got a brand new job. Its like the best job in Oregon!" So I am excited for him and start asking her questions about it and she says, "Yea. He's got mandatory training this weekend otherwise he wont' be able to start work for another month which he can't afford, so I have it covered."

I was tired and the way she put it didn't really worry me, so I asked, "Uhh did you tell Lillie?" and Jillian says, "Yea." and I said "Did she say anything on how I might react?" and she started laughing. Apparently Lillie coached her on how to break the news to me. Hilarious! It worked. Perhaps these people know me a little better than I had thought. Okay- Thursday.


No comments:

Post a Comment