Friday, April 2, 2010

Thursday/Friday

Phew. Okay. the past two days. Ready? go.

Thursday- sessions, paper work and piano inservice. We learned the middle eastern style and major sevenths. I have a lot of practice. Kari and I grabbed some chipotle and settled in to watch some Cash Cab when Mar-boy arrived with Panda Paws ice cream. All in all- an excellent evening. Panda paws is like moose tracks ice cream, but with chocolate ice cream. Its like chocolatety goodness with mini reeses peanut butter cups. I also got to catch up with Julie for exactly 30 minutes-- I'm shocked that we were both available for the same 30 minutes. That's pretty unusual for these days.

Friday- my sessions went well today and I had a really good supervision session with my supervisor. We had a conference wrap up talk this afternoon that kind of put things in perspective- especially with my upcoming trip to Vegas in just a few days. We talked about the differences in going to conference as a student versus an intern. As a student and being involved on boards and committees, I felt like a top dog on campus. As an intern, I'm focused more on my professional life in the near future- I'm more focused on what style and approach of therapy-- I have more perspective on what is truly important to me professionally and I am definitely this tiny little fish in a big big pond. All of that is refreshing. I was able to just enjoy the conference and see all the things that I wanted to see- instead of being in meetings, being stressed about events and presentations. My ST reminded me to keep that in the back of my mind when people ask me to get involved. Its easy to find yourself on a committee right out of the gate- but I have so much time to build my professional identity before getting involved in association stuff. So I am keeping that in mind--- really that just means that I need to know my limits of what I WANT to do (rather than what I CAN do-- two very different things). When I'm done here, I will just be starting my professional career- its just the beginning. I should enjoy the conferences and association perks before I get carried away and involved. Its an excellent point- especially about limits. This means learning to say "no." I think after internship and knowing how crazy it can be, that I will be able to say that magic word when I need to. Anyhow, my ST provided a lot of perspective today.

I am getting excited to go to the Las Vegas conference. I feel so different than when I started and I can wait to see this familiar event and people with a fresh perspective and new "eyes" and mindset. I'm also curious to see if I fit in. I felt like I fit into the MAR quite well-- but maybe my new self will feel a little funny about the western region. I don't know its hard to say- but I am so excited to find out.

After work I met up with Mar-boy for a little Fallbrook Falls adventure. Its this waterfall in the middle of the tiny town where I work Tuesday/Friday. So we checked out the top of the falls and then made the treacherous hike down. It was so hot and humid today- 85. I never thought I would consider 85 hot. What has this east coast done to me? I felt pretty gross, but for some reason after huffing and puffing up the steep trail -- it is now painfully obvious that I am WAY out of shape -- I was in the mood for fries. So we ate at Applebees and then went back to his house to watch season 2 episodes of Weeds. Pictures of our hike will be up soon.

I got home about an hour ago to an apartment that was 86 degrees! This thermostat is possessed. Three guys came to my apartment yesterday to look at it and said that I needed to have it set on a temperature. I had it clicked all the way down. Apparently when you do that, it turns on straight heat. Ridiculous. I'm going to have to call them back tomorrow and ask them to take another look. The vents are still really hot. At this rate, I won't need to put my easter lamb in the oven, I can just leave it out on my kitchen counter. ugh. its so gross. I have all the windows open and the built in fan on the ac going to get some fresh air. It seems to be working pretty well. I may sleep on the couch tonight because its too hot in my room. We'll see. Tomorrow is supposed to be another warm one.

Tomorrow I am getting some conference stuff taken care of among other errands in preparation for Sunday's feast. I also need to do laundry and start packing for Vegas! Woo hoo. I can't wait to go and I can't wait to return to a normal schedule!
Good night everyone and happy easter weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment