Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Talent Showcase

Well.
What a day.

The talent showcase was certainly something else. Mar-boy's band was, of course, excellent. However there were some winners at this thing. First up was the Teen Klezmer orchestra: piano, drums, trombone, sax, trumpet, clarinet, flute, oboe, viola, cello and violin. The violinist was hilarious- he ended every song with a pose-- most often holding his bow straight up in the air. It was very triumphant. Jewish Rochester's answer to Hannah Montana did a number with Mar-boy's band. Below you'll find an audio clip of the song she does. She sounds good but she does sound like she's twelve.



Here's a clip for you, Julie. Just a suggestion for an opener for our own cabaret act... just please consider it.

The second clip here and the other high point was this duo that performed after the Jewish Chorale. The duo was something straight out of SNL- like the Pasadena Middle School Music Teachers meets Will Ferrell's Robert Goulet impression. The man did look a little like Goulet. They did a mesh of old and new world jewish tunes plus some broadway show tunes in there. In fact, this woman opened with Cabaret, as you can hear. How appropriate. The man is the cantor at that temple and the woman is his wife and the coordinator for the showcase. Very entertaining. We spent almost four hours there but we all agreed that we had a great time. Anna, the woman who invited us over for Seder in March, was there of course and gave me a big hug. She is such a lovely person. Anyhow, she said she had some cute pictures of me and mar-boy. So once I get those and if they pass the test, maybe I will post them up here.
After the showcase, we (Mom, Kari and I) came back here to mellow out before hitting the MEGA-WEGMANS. Mar-boy had to go meet up with his roommates because they are getting a puppy (tomorrow!). They had to go meet with the lady and prove they could provide a good home. He sent pictures to me later and this puppy is adorable. Patch is the same breed as a dog that used to patrol our neighborhood years ago. ANyhow, we took Mom to Wegmans. Grocery stores are a big thing in our family and funny enough my uncle called mom while we were there. He must have known. Wegmans was great- but definitely busy. You have to have a game plan and know how to drive defensively. Both mom and I were pretty exhausted by the time we came home, so we decided to stay in for dinner. We made the most excellent BLTs and salad. She has an early flight tomorrow morning, so I will definitely be up early. Maybe I'll have time to dry my hair and make pancakes for breakfast! Yahoo! It's been nice to have her here for the weekend. This week its back to the grind. its the last week of may session wise, so I have my end of the month summaries plus two reports to be working on. Ack! One day and report at a time. It will all be completed.

Today also marks the beginning of my birthday week. Please celebrate accordingly. I'm not sure what we're going to be doing this week and through the weekend but I know it will be fun. I found a couple of restaurants and that ice cream place that I want to try, so maybe we will do that. There may even be a roller derby bout happening- that would be an excellent birthday event. Enjoy the week. Three Day weekend coming up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment