Sunday, June 20, 2010

Fathers Day!

Happy Father's Day!!

I would call my own dad right now, except that its not even 6 am. I think I'll let him sleep for a little while longer. I was trying to think of a wonderful story about my dad to write up as a tribute. I've been thinking about all of the fun trips and adventures we went on and I think I have enjoyed those the most--- we went to Hawaii just the two of us for a whole week and did nothing, lots of ski trips. That was great. My dad moved me out of my apartment in Santa Ana AND Arizona. I think the most fun adventure to date was when he moved me out here. We didn't yell at each other or fight or anything. We missed our flight out of Detroit and into Rochester so we were rerouted through Buffalo and renting a car to make it to Rochester that same night. By the time we got to Buffalo it was like midnight and kinda snowing. Our rental car (for the 90 minute drive) ran out of windshield wiper fluid. So we drove in the middle of the night, down a dark and unfamiliar thru-way with the heat blasting and the windows down. Classic. I think I will remember that forever. My Dad is a pretty outstanding guy and I'm very thankful for all that he's done for me-- even when he insists on doing it his way (which is clearly not the way I would do things-- minor technicality). :) Love you Dad. I'll call you later.

----------------
Yesterday was absolutely ridiculous in a fantastic way. Kari came over. We had margaritas, waffles, bacon, and more drinks. We created a drinking game to go with New Moon which did make things a little more interesting. After seeing the movie (in preparation for June 30th when Eclipse comes out), I guess I understand why young teens drool all over this "saga." This movie had a lot of teen angsty eyebrow furling and confused looks and bad acting. But it helped that the two male leads are very attractive. Believe me, there were many a comment. Kari and I just laughed and laughed and laughed. It was fun. We were still kind of wound when New Moon was over so I put in Xanadu!!! The ultimate bad movie. Kari left without really being sure what happened in the movie- all she knew was that Gene Kelly was in it, there was an animated sequence, lots of ELO and me doing Aaron Neville impressions. Plus the last 8 minutes. The last 8 minutes of the movie make it all worth while, in my opinion.
Whenever I watch Xanadu I think of the time that my friends Julie and Jess came over to stay with me while my parents were out. I made dinner and we ended up watching Xanadu outside in my backyard. We topped the weekend with a trip to black bear for breakfast. I can't recall every shenanigan from that evening but I do remember thinking how ridiculous it was to be watching this horrible movie. I love it.


Today is a low key day. I have to do dishes and things that I didn't bother cleaning up last night. I have left over waffles for breakfast! I'm excited about that. Its supposed to be a little rainy, but if its nice, maybe I will also take my book to the pool sometime today. It is, now, only 9am. Whatever I end up doing today will be pretty low key.
I hope everyone has a nice relaxing Sunday! and Happy Dad's Day (again)!

2 comments:

  1. I am pleased as punch to see a very nice tribute to one of the most un-sung heros of the day, your Dad. The man has walked many miles in his particular moccasins and deserves to be cut a little slack once in awhile. Love to the daughters who made him a Dad, A.L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lauren.

    I have two wonderful daughters--each in her own way. Love you both

    ReplyDelete