Monday, June 7, 2010

U2 Monday

I've had U2 songs stuck in my head all day: Stuck in a moment... and I still haven't found what I'm looking for. Specifically those two songs. Although "The Sweetest Thing" has been playing in my head too.

I had a good day today. I always feel better when I see clients in session. Its easy for me sweep things under the rug and I get to do that when I have to be present for a client. Unfortunately whatever may bother me is usually waiting for me once I get in the car to come home. Its nice to not deal with my own ish for like 8 hours a day. But I have to be careful and balance that- I don't want to dismiss the things I need to work through. That would just be counter productive.
I had some great sessions today. I'm looking forward to see my clients tomorrow and continuing to do assessments sessions with this other consumer. When you assess someone in this model of therapy, it mostly just being with that person in music and observing them. Its just like hanging out. I like thinking about it like that. Its a chance to get to know someone in music for the first time. And along that note, I really started working on my case study today. My ITD described the case study as an opportunity to hang out with my client in my head a lot and to think about my client and who they are in music therapy and that what means for them. I also have to think about my main message... what is it that I want people to know through my work with this person. I started this gargantuan task by surfing through my client's entire music therapy history. One thing I couldn't help but notice was a line from some anectdotal notes from an intern almost 20 years ago when my client started music therapy. The note said, "There is such an incredible person in there." I thought that summed up my client perfectly. Its easy to see the characteristics of this person's diagnoses and its easy to see how this person drums (demonstrating rhythmic disorder).... but underneath it all, my client is still an individual- with likes and dislikes, quirks, you know... a personality. I think that sometimes people working in health-related fields forget about the person and see only the diagnosis or symptoms or behaviors... whatever that means. Anyhow, its just nice to see that other people have seen how cool my client is. I look forward to our sessions together and getting to know this person better in music. Often, music is a medium that opens the door for relationships. In music the client can make eye contact or feel good about themselves or become more organized. Therapists support those steps towards growth and we're also the ones that are privileged enough to see it and experience that growth in the moment with the client. I could probably go on about this all night. Instead I'm going to go to bed.
Hope everyone had a great monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment