Saturday, February 6, 2010

I wish I had Mary Poppins powers

Mary Poppins, and probably Julie Andrews for that matter, has that power to snap and clothes put themselves away, pillows are straightened, beds are made, and drawers are closed. I had the thought today to sing a jaunty tune-- perhaps even a Happy Working Song to clean up my disastrous apartment. I can tell you now from experience that this method does not work.

My apologies for updating so late. I realize that I did not post a Friday update. I had such a busy and overwhelming day and then I picked up Annabelle from the BMW spa. She looks beautiful. They did a nice job and even washed her. She sparkles. I did have to say goodbye to Rhonda.
Rhonda and I had some good times together--- like the time the brakes locked and I was sliding down a hill near an intersection (That would have never happened in Annabelle). We were together a whole week and covered quite a few miles. The Enterprise agent thought it was hilarious that I named her. Oh well. Maybe she just doesn't understand. Here's to you Rhonda. I toast my glass of wine in your honor. Thanks for getting me from point A to B all week long.

Friday was a busy busy day. We had four sessions back to back to back to back. I participated in all of them, but I did end up leading two of them. That wasn't necessarily the plan when we sat down and talked in the morning, but that is what kind of happened. Both sessions were with clients that require all improvised music. It was a very interesting experience and the main lesson here is SIMPLIFY. Like whoa. My supervising therapist complimented my piano skills, in fact, he seemed a bit surprised, BUT its way to complicated. It makes sense. I'm improvising the only way I know and the way I know stems from how I learned in high school. Not that its bad. Its apart of my own little style. But, as I'm discovering, clinical improvisation is a totally different ball game. I have a lot to learn but it was a great day. I'm really starting to be thrown into it now. Its overwhelming and I wish I had better words to describe the feeling. I was trying to do that for my supervisor and come up with questions... but I just don't have any yet. I think its because I don't know what I'm seeing and instead of asking "what am I seeing" right off the bat here, I have to like gather a baseline and get to know clients before I can start asking questions and start truly knowing what it is that I'm seeing. Does that make sense? I'm fighting the residual effects of a fried brain here. Friday was a big day, but I am thankful that I've had that initial experience AND that the car nonsense has been resolved. It has certainly given me some peace of mind--- and probably my parents too.

Today was an apartment day. I cleaned and organized. I vacuumed and put things away. I straightened out my desk and tossed some stuff and papers that I didn't need. I went through the kitchen which was really rather scary, did dishes, washed pots-- then dirtied them all again when I cooked dinner. I had some left over cilantro and jalapenos from the albondigas so I cooked up a little steak, beans, rice, and chopped up some lettuce and had some fajita-y type thingys. They were good. I spent most of this day trying to take care of music therapy association stuff, conference stuff, putting together agendas and transition binders, and working on an event that we have going in March. Phew. Lots of stuff happening. Its hard to devote extra brainpower - especially brain power that I don't have on the weekends. The weekends have been a time to just recharge the old brain and endurance meter. I was talking to Julie today and we're hoping to plan a trip soon. She has a long weekend in a couple of weeks and I'm hoping (both hoping) that she'll be able to make it out for a couple of days. That would be a good way to recharge the ol' brain. We'll see what happens with that.

Tomorrow I have my grocery store trip planned during peak superbowl hours, hoping that everyone else won't have the same idea. People around here still think that the Buffalo Bills have a chance at the superbowl. ha. I don't really have any other big plans aside from practicing. I need to transpose a few tunes for this coming week. Its been a productive day and I'm exhausted! Good thing there's an I Love Lucy marathon on tonight.
Have a happy superbowl day tomorrow. Eat chili and nachos and chips and all that good stuff! I'll be checking out all the ads later on hulu- that way I don't actually have to watch the game or sit through commercials I don't like. I think its a solid plan. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget the Que Bueno! Go Bills....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you miss any commercials, let me know. We are recording everything starting 30 minutes before the game. I think HH secretly believes the Chargers might still be in it. After all, Brees is in it and Reggie Bush went to Helix HS just four blocks away.

    ReplyDelete