Monday, February 8, 2010

What to do when the Water Main Breaks...

That's right. Our building's water broke today.
We had no water until about 2:30 this afternoon. That meant that program was closed today and clients were not bused to the facility.
Our ITD and Kari went to Kari's second site to do some sessions with her folks over there which left me with a mountain of charts- 4 general main charts, 3 music therapy charts and a bit of a Nordoff-Robbins book. My eyes bare work to read words anymore. Kari and our ITD returned in time for lunch- I guess she had some wonderful sessions there today. I spent some time practicing for my sessions tomorrow at my second site before our piano inservice started.

We moved to the white keys!!! We are now officially authorized to use the white keys. Unfortunately, it was to learn Organum style. For whatever reason, it felt really weird and unnatural and it made me really uncomfortable- which provided a lot of laughs. Its nice to feel more and more at ease with Kari and our ITD in the office there. I feel like a general idea of normalcy is being created each day. After piano we had our inservice on the somatron. Our ITD had some good stories about acquiring the somatron and meeting the creator. In the somatron, you feel parts of the music in different parts of the chair. There are speakers in head rest and in the back of the chair but you also feel the different vibrations throughout the back of the chair all the way down to your feet. It reclines so the optimal position is the same position that astronauts are in when they take off. That physiological position I guess is where everything is aligned. I listened to a guitar piece, jupiter from Holst's planets, and this amazing vocal piece by Bobby McFerrin. Yes, that Bobby McFerrin- the Don't Worry Be Happy Guy. If you have a chance, look up his other videos on youtube. If you didn't know already, he's an amazing vocal artist. What he can do with his voice is astounding. Anyhow, experiencing music this way is totally different than any other way I've listened to music. I sat up and I actually felt woozy. It's really strange.
Kari and I had the rest of the afternoon to experiment with the somatron and listen to some music. Our ITD encouraged us to listen to all sorts of music in the somatron to get a feel for what it will be like for our clients.

In other news, I got a notice in the mailbox saying that I had a past due balance on my February Rent. I owe $5.00. Five dollars. Hilarious. The rent check was made out for the exact amount specified on my leasing agreement. Sooooooo..... $5.00. I have a call into the collection administrator to find out what's going on with that. It's provided a good laugh. Usually these things are $50.00 or $500.00 or even threat of eviction (like what happened to me in Arizona when a payment didn't clear with the bank). Not $5.00. Oh well. More on that later.

Time to eat and practice. I have 5 sessions tomorrow and even though I finish earlier than my Monday/Wednesday/Thursday schedule, I feel more tired on Tuesday and Fridays than the rest of the week- I think. I'm hoping that sessions go smoothly tomorrow- like Friday, but way better. :)

1 comment:

  1. Somatron equipments are widely used by many human-beings to promote inner peace and to develop sensory awareness.

    www.biof.com
    Biof

    ReplyDelete