Tuesday, July 27, 2010

back again

I am back in New York again- comfy and cozy on my couch.
My gilroy adventure was a whirlwind! I saw a lot of "my readers" and family and friends. I managed to sprain my ankle during the festival - just a little bit. And today I skipped work because I have a sinus infection and bronchitis. I think it was all the dirt and running around from the festival that caused congestion (as it usually does) and then having to fly all day yesterday probably brought things over the edge. But the festival was great. It was good to see everyone again- all the people who are apart of the Media team. They are my family for those few days during the year and for some, its the only time during the year that I get to see them. So I am glad that I was able to come back and work... even if I had to stay mainly at the media tent with my foot up on Sunday. I really love the garlic festival for that reason- that 3 days out of the year I get to see good friends and family. I think that's true for a lot of other people who have been involved for many years. The twitter project went really well. I think everyone was happy with it and it even got some media buzz and some of the followers were re-tweeting some of the posts. My sister and I were a great team with that (sometimes thats surprising)- she would text me with a message due to limited wi-fi at the cook off stage and I posted them from the media tent. It was fun to work with her this year.
Sometimes we really get on each others nerves (especially in the morning) but this year we were jamming and jiving. It made it more fun.


I posted a picture from Friday morning-- the Foster Farms Impostors were at the festival and we couldn't resist! ---------->


Julie came and picked me up Sunday night because I had a 6:45a flight out of SFO early Monday morning. It was good to hang with her in Gilroy and to hang with her up at her house. Its weird to think that this will probably be the only time we'll see each other in person until December. But I guess with any true and good friend the number of visits doesn't really matter as much as the ability to just pick up where we left off the last time. It was nice to see my family and be at home, even if it was just for a few hours a day. All of my flights were uneventful and on time. That's because I didn't fly Delta. Getting to Gilroy was really annoying as both of my Delta flights were delayed and completely full. Coming back, I was able to sleep on the plane (which is unusual), my flights left on time and only one flight was completely full.

Now I'm back in the ROC and trying to get healthy. I really can't come into work when I'm sick because I work with people who are also medically fragile. It's a good thing my supervisor said "Stay home" when I called this morning. I felt conflicted because I had these symptoms but I wanted to come in. My big presentation is next week, Kari's is tomorrow and I still have a ton of work to do on it. So the blog posts may not be coming as frequently in the next week because I really have to put all of my puzzle pieces together. I think I will have a better idea of how to do that after seeing Kari's tomorrow. She's been able to watch old case studies on tape and I know its going to be a stellar presentation. Plus she mentioned that there are Reese's mini peanut butter cups on the office --- which means I need to be there to eat them.

Oh well. Back to the couch and my bottle of red gatorade.
Oh! Other big news. My best friend from Chapman delivered her (HUGE) baby early this morning. A little boy, 9lbs and 15oz and 22" long. Her younger sister had one job and one job only aside from being there and that was to call and text me as necessary. I got an ecstatic phone call at 4am this morning with the big news. So now I get to be Auntie Lauren to this giant baby and I am very excited about it. I am planning on taking a trip down and visiting sometime in September.

Anyhow, Thank you all for the lovely trip home and I'll see most of you in a few weeks! These next 3.5 weeks are going to fly by and I have a lot to do. Once my presentation is done next week I will have to complete my final paper, final self evaluation, and final site evaluation. Not to mention the upcoming July summaries and the bits of August summaries. Also I will have to start transitioning my clients back to our ITD's caseload and start wrapping up my work plus observations! Phew. That's a lot. But as my mother would say, "you gotta finish the race." SO I'm going to work my hardest to be focused and get everything done. After my trip home, I've gotta change gears (and get better) and get back into the swing of things. I left feeling really balanced in my work and life, so I am hoping to get back to that place instead of the frantic cocker spaniel sliding down the hardwood floor wall. I'm going to get ready for bed now. Seems silly since I have literally napped all day (and I'm still tired!). I must have needed the extra sleep.
Signing off for now!

1 comment: