Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I went to work today!

I went to work today. But I didn't see any clients. I am feeling better although the afternoon was a little rough- I had that glassy look in my eye about 3pm. I did get some headway on my presentation. I anticipate that I will do most of the work this weekend--- like transferring my video clips to my tape and solidifying my outline and handout. After seeing Kari's presentation today, I have more of an idea of what I want to do and say. That helps a lot. I'm going to type those ideas into my existing outline and then hit the couch. BTW, Kari's presentation was fabulous. She is a rock star. I hope that mine will be as good as hers. I know that it will be different. However, it does turn out that the clients we picked have certain similarities. Its nice to draw on those similarities when I'm trying to figure out my presentation - but also figure out the things that I want to do differently. Kari had this beautiful and elaborate hand out and I think that I might want to do something a little more simple... we'll see what happens as it all comes together.
My presentation is really going to focus on the person that my client becomes in music. There are certain ways that this person is described in the chart is is completely opposite of what I observe in music therapy. I'm really going to highlight on how this person comes to life and can do anything despite whatever "dis"abilities present. That's the amazing thing about music therapy and about this Maslow humanist theory--- my client can fulfill any capacity or potentiality in music. I found the perfect quote from Maslow today that I will probably use in my presentation:

“The person in the peak-experiences usually feels himself to be at the peak of his powers, using all of his capacities at the best and fullest… he feels “fully-functioning.” He feels more intelligent, more perceptive, wittier, stronger, or more graceful than at other times. He is at his best… This is not only felt subjectively but can be seen by the observer He is no longer wasting effort fighting and restraining himself; muscles are no longer fighting muscles. In the normal situation, part of our capcities are used for action, and part are wasted on restraining these same capacities. Now there is no waste; the totality of the capacities can be used for action. He becomes like a river without dams.” (117).

I read that last line, "He becomes like a river without dams" and I just kenw that I had to use it to describe my client. My client also has some physical challenges--- so the muscles fighting muscles line really spoke to me as well. Anyhow, I felt really inspired by fidning that quote and its helped me get a move on my presentation. I have more focus which is going to help me, big time.

I did a lot today without doing much of anything. Although I did submit one monthly summary and started my final paper. My final paper is going to be sort of cool. I'm organizing and summarizing my entire experience based on our first piano in-service where our ITD gave us the rules for improvisation. It turns out those rules have been a lot more important than I had originally thought. It makes reflecting on my experience sort of fun and also ties into the actual musical part of my own transformation. There are things I wrote early on in my journal that are so clear now--- I had that sort of "whoa! how did I even know about that way back then?" reaction to a few of my entries.

Now its time to eat, type my notes and then crash. I think I actually will do sessions tomorrow. Our ITD is going to start doing some observations tomorrow afternoon in preparation for final evals AND tomorrow my ITD and I are going to sit down and talk about dates for last sessions. We have a few people figured out (Kari has all of her ending dates). It will be nice (But WEIRD!) to have that all figured out tomorrow. That truly does make this ending a little more real. I know I have to get through some big things first, but with ending dates, I'm sure the conclusion of my internship will certainly creep more into my mind. Lots of stuff happening and I've got to hit the ground running--- well with as much speed as I can while still managing to take care of myself and get better. We'll start right now with dinner. Goodnight!

1 comment:

  1. First things first...get well! This is like a big crescendo building, so exciting for you. Thinking about you all the time. Rock on, Laurenz!

    ReplyDelete