Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy 4th!

We had an All-American time today: Cheeseburgers, biscuits, salad, drinks, food network, mario kart and fireworks. Kari and her husband came over tonight for some fun. It was nice to have them over. My burgers turned out to be delicious and so juicy- done just right. I didn't have a grill but I made do with my oven. I also didn't have Worchester sauce so I used a little red wine. They were so wonderful. We got to watch one fireworks (and a half-- there was another show but a building was in the way) show from the park next to my apartment complex. It was nice to be able to see some fireworks, I was a little afraid that we were going to be able to see any. On the way back to my apartment we saw a bunch of fireflies. That really added to the magic for me. It was a nice relaxing day and I was glad that I spent this year celebrating with Kari and her husband.

I have been trying to think of my favorite 4th of July memory but I couldn't pin down one in particular. Last year we saw fireworks from La Jolla- which was beautiful. They were right over head with thousands of our closest friends. You could also see the fireworks from the Fair a few miles up the road. The year before my boyfriend at the time took me to one of the bluffs to see the fair fireworks and then pulled little dishes of homemade creme brulee out of his car and torched them right there on the back patio at the place I was staying. In 2006 I was on a plane to Australia for a band trip. There were years of block parties in there and a few stand out in my mind. Mostly, I fondly remember setting off fireworks with my "pyrotechnic expert" uncle. I think of him often on this particular holiday. I think those block party years are some of my favorite favorites.... especially once I earned the right to operate my own propane tank.

So I hope that everyone had a wonderful holiday. I plan on doing my couch time tomorrow while starting to work on my case study presentation outline. I'm missing my family and friends who I usually see but I know that I'll be back in just a couple of weeks for the festival. I am looking forward to it. Love to you all and goodnight!

1 comment:

  1. I think Kathryne and Jonathan could have used another hand with the torches last night! Glad you three had a fun day. XO

    ReplyDelete