Saturday, August 14, 2010

California Dreamin'

I had an interesting conversation today with a barista in starbucks.

I got like 9 hours of sleep last night, so I was up pretty early, watched my hulu shows and decided to hit Wegmans to pick up bread and milk. Anyhow, I did my shopping and decided to stop at starbucks. I have to save my coffee here at home to make it through the week. The barista was talking to some guy about California and how most people in New York think that California looks like Hollywood and all people are like the characters of The Hills.
So we had a lovely conversation about that.

I actually cooked dinner tonight. I used to make these mexican chicken rice bowls in Arizona. The original recipe is from Any Bozzo Can Cook.
I don't have my cookbook here so I fixed the recipe from my memory and perhaps a few substitutions. I cut up some chicken breast and seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin and a dash of chile powder. I cooked the chicken in a bit of olive oil until browned. Add some tomatoes and frozen peas; season however you want and then stir in some rice. I like to use brown rice.
I also heated up some refried beans in a separate pan and voila. Dinner. It tastes pretty good too. My newest thing is to eat everything in my house before moving. I don't want to deal with a bunch of left over food... so it's going to be chicken, bags of broccoli florets, animal crackers, pasta and chicken broth for the next week and a half. I have faith that I'll clean everything out by the time I leave.

I managed to ship 5 more boxes home today AND clean my kitchen and front room. I just have to do a bit of laundry which I will probably get to tomorrow morning before the barbeque. Phew. For now, I am going to eat my delicious dinner!

4 comments:

  1. Apparently, they've never met Scooter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you can always put the food in the car and take it to Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, thought I clicked on And on that Note....turned out to be Lauren's Diner! A thought: extra food goes to a local food pantry. Love you! Can't wait to see you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOh brilliant idea. I didn't even think about a local food bank.

    I do enjoy cooking, but there's only one Diner I follow. But my meals end up looking pretty and are definitely picture worthy... in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete