Wednesday, August 25, 2010

O-H-I-O-NO

Ohio- Oh no.
What a day.

So I left Rochester ahead of schedule this morning- around 11. I picked up gas and some waterbottles and stopped at the bank and was on my way.

Rochester to Buffalo - $2.75 in tolls

Okay- so the entire time I was driving through NY, Annabelle (my car- the voice of my GPS) was telling me to drive through Canada to get to Ann Arbor. I had decided that this was not going to happen. I was going to take I-90 through ohio and then north to Ann Arbor. So I fiddled with the settings (this is an important element to remember for later). Finally when I got through PA (another $3.15 in toll fares) no problems. Annabelle finally came around too.

I made it to Cleveland and thats when things started to get interesting. I made it through Cleveland, except that Annabelle routed me through these different side streets--- I drove through downtown Cleveland and through a residential area. I passed the stadium where The Browns play. Its a lovely area. Okay- so that was weird. More hilarious than weird... a scenic route. I thought Annabelle was mad at me for calling her names over the whole canada thing and so she decided to take me on the "shortest" route. No big deal. Once I got through Cleveland I decided to stop for lunch at a Five Guys- great burgers and excellent fries. All the toppings are free so I can have a burger w/ tomato, pickle, onion lettuce mustard and mushrooms-- so delicious.
SO I hit the road from there--- that was about 3:45p. I traveled on my way and got on the Ohio Turnpike (yay! another toll road) when I got a phone call from AAA. "Hello Lauren?" - yes "Yeah, it seems you left your purse at a restaurant this afternoon" -- oh... crap. Umm... a Five Guys in Ohio? "Yes. You can ask for Ted."
Bahahaha. Great. I'm on the turnpike (where btw, Ohio tolls are way more expensive than NY or PA). So I used my phone to call the store and figured out I was 45 minutes away. Add another $1.50 to get off the turnpike. Luckily, my iPhone routed me back to the restaurant without taking the turnpike- thank goodness. 45 minutes later I run back into the five guys restaurant and announce that I was the "really smart person who left their purse there!" They all welcomed me with a loud "HEEYYYYYY!" Then they asked me where I was headed. -- Ann Arbor. Well... not so welcome any more. Their faces were hilarious. "Oh... are you a Michigan fan?" -- uhh not really. My sister is starting school there. I know where I am. "Ok. good. because you know sarah here goes to Ohio State.."

Now I'm sure all of you know that U of Mich and OH State are bitter rivals. Sooo try to understand how awkward I felt explaining why I was going to Ann Arbor.

With my purse in hand and my phone dying I go BACK on the Turnpike and headed for Toledo--- 5:30pm (ETA: 7:30p).

Well... Annabelle was still on "Shortest Route" mode- which certainly means its not the "Fastest Route." Before I knew it (and $4.50 in tolls later) I was driving through this sketchy part of Toledo. I finally realized that Annabelle was in a different mode and ack made it to Ann Arbor a little after 8- dead phone and all. Geez.
What a day.

Toll Total: $11.90
Hour Total: 9hrs
Time it should've taken 6.5 hrs

After this, I'm fairly certain that I left my brain in NY. Goodness.

I am happy to report that I did make it and I'm hanging with my sister and her friend. We went out for a nice dinner and now are back at her friends apartment. Tomorrow we are venturing to Treasure Mart (Not certain about that one yet- Apparently its a vintagey antiquey secondhand furniture place- I'm excited) and then IKEA and then picking up Dad at the airport.. somewhere I'll check into the hotel too.

For now, I am going to get into my pjs and lounge.
What a day.

4 comments:

  1. And you thought getting from Buffalo to Rochester in a blizzard, with no defroster, windows down, was an adventure?? Glad you made it sweetie. Love to all 3 of yous,

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh we had a defroster- just no wiper fluid.
    But this was certainly a crazy adventure. I'm glad to be here. I'll check in with you today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story, made me laugh and smile, sorry that it probably didn't make you smile while it was happening.
    By the way, can't WAIT to hear about Treasure Mart, sounds like my kind of place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nah- I was laughing throughout the adventure. It was pretty hilarious as it was happening. :) Gotta keep a sense of humor about things!

    ReplyDelete